Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Handmade Mini Book of Ephemera

The challenge, should you choose to accept it:
Mini Books.
I should have ran when I had the chance....

Round three of the Smeared and Smudged DT Throwdown has begun!
This took me waaaaaay out of my usual discomfort zone, and forced me to
work on an incredibly labor intensive project. Something I usually don't even
consider doing. Like sewing. Or cooking.
So, after spending a week planning my attack in my head, 
and wasting quite a bit of time on Splitcoast tutorials, 
and then finding too much info on Youtube, I decided
to make my book from scratch. I'm a sucker for punishment.

I used corrugated cardboard for the covers, cut to 3.5" X 4", 
and covered them with a creepy dp, and then also added 
a spine like a real, live book. 
Not too bad for my first binding experience.
I may try this again. Maybe.

Notice the controlled chaos on my desk. It's the only way for me.

Completed front shot. I added a handmade (by me) polymer clay
skull, and a couple of grunge board straps with eyelets and snaps. 



I am a collector of many things. Vintage metal lunch boxes, $2 bills, 
weird action and vinyl figures, taxidermy, oddities, horror memorabilia
and other cool schtuff. I also love paper.
All kinds of vintage ephemera, tags and books from my childhood, 
cool or cute artwork, doodles, whatever. I thought that this mini book would allow me to save and use and organize some of my paper madness.

Gotta have some Zombies and a brain right out of the gate!
The stamped Zombies are from Doodle Factory, and the jarred brain
 cling stamp is from Inkadinkadoo. 

This is one of my oldest and most favorite rubber stamps! I picked it up at
a convention years ago, and am thrilled to add it to my mini book.
I usually pair it with a thought bubble that says, 
"Do I have something in my teeth?".



The jack-o stamps on the right are stamped onto acetate and then colored with fine glitter on the backsides. The jar of eyes is from the 
Inkadinka set, and the Mummy is rubber from Paper MakeUp stamps. 

The bp is digital from Susan's Crafty Chaos, the creepy bottles and jars are from Itkipilli, and the labels are from Mike's. 

More labels and dp and internet finds.

Got to use my Spellbinder Bat die, finally! I used some metal screen for texture.

Random.

More Crafty Chaos digital dp, and a cool ticket stub from the
Museum of Death in Hollywood. And a cemetery statue.

And the last page with more CC digital dp, another specimen stamp,
a wicked online find, and another label.
  
Fin!

Please take a moment to stop by the Smeared and Smudged ning
group tomorrow and Friday (only) to cast your vote for your favorite
teams projects. We all worked really hard on these mini books 
and would love for you see all of them and vote for your favorite. 
To see all of the Team HDH mini books, click here.


10 comments:

  1. Well worth the wait that book is actually a little piece of work. I LOVE it so much. Quirky but very very cool. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous book! What a fabulous way to show off and store all those little bits and pieces, I love it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. WooHoo! I'll say worth the wait. Love every cool and funky page but my fave is that fab skully you made for the front. You RocKED IT! GO TEAM! xxD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your book it's fun to look at

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job-hope you're feeling better??? Love the green guy on the cover and the various components---good luck-your team is looking good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glo, seriously awesome book! Your coloring on the images are totally bad ass, and the handmade skully on the front is PERFECT... me thinks I need to drop by your Etsy and see what else you've got in there :) Awesome job on the binding, btw... a true mini BOOK!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is incredibly AWESOME !!! An amazing piece and certainly well worth the wait. This totally knocks your socks off Glo !!! :-D
    Hugz
    IKE xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. fantastic minibook love it, so many fab details to look at, just awesome

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE this !!! you have used the coolest images and your colour is gorgeous! Good things are worth waiting for :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Wow Glo, you nailed it here, this is absolutely stunning, I love every page. x

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment or just vent.