I've been neglecting my blog for far too long.
I am struggling with my creativity, but I can feel a shift in the atmosphere.
A change is brewing. I can feel it.
My creativity was sparked with the recent challenge at HDH,
The Minions are looking for skulls (hence the spelling), rather than the actual
definition of the word, skulduggery.
I decided to create my very first vertical, toilet paper tube, mini album.
I followed the tutorial found here.
With skulls being the main theme, it gave me a good opportunity to
use up some of my hoarded skull stash. Like that big, metal skull, for instance.
One of the crossbones broke off of it, and I have been moving it around in my
stash for well over a year (or two). It feels good to finally use it.
I created my own charms for the dangly bits.
Meaning, I strung them, and added the beads to the TH swivel thing.
I think it adds a nice touch to the album, while still keeping it masculine.
Side view of the innards.
There are six, flattened, toilet paper tubes in there,
each with it's own removable tag.
The binding hinge is really the best part of this project.
I'm sure I'll be using it again in future projects.
The video is worth watching for the hinge alone.
Super simple, but so effective.
Here is a nice shot of the technique I used for all of the dp panels,
and the internal tp tubes. I was trying to give everything a uniform feel,
without being too, 'matchy matchy'. After edging the panels with vintage photo
Distress ink, I used black and white Dylusions Inks and Perfect Pearls in copper.
I just splattered the inks, as opposed to spraying them. I like the dingy,
distressed look it gives everything. Plus, a little shimmer never hurt anyone.
Here are the tubes with their tags. I was able to use up a bunch of scrap paper,
which is always a plus. I am currently trying to figure out how to better organize
my paper scraps, so I can use them up faster. I think I should sort them into
solids and prints, and the Hallowe'en papers should have their very own bin.
I used my SU small, oval scallop punch and folded it in half,
and glued it to the top of each tag. Then, I used the SU tab punch, to add the nice
little tab at the top.
Overall, this was a pretty straight forward project. The tutorial was easy
to follow, I was able to use up six tp tubes, and now I have
this nifty little (3" x 5") tag book.
I really enjoy making books from scratch.
I may have missed my calling as a book binder.
I'd like to enter this mini album in the following challenges:
(I went with a left side, diagonal, using metal, 3D, and sparkle)
Thanks for stopping by!