Saturday, July 4, 2015

Happy Anniversary Alice!


Today I am celebrating the 150th Anniversary of Alice in Wonderland
by taking part in a celebratory blog hop featuring lots of creative projects 
inspired by this wonderfully strange, and adventurous story.

Not only will you be awed by all of the amazing artwork, 
but you can also win prizes from these generous companies;







Prize winners will be selected from random blogs throughout the hop. 
In order to be eligible for a prize, you must visit all stops on the hop and leave a comment. 
The prize draws will be open until July 18th, with winners announced on July 20th.

Okay, now that all of that is out of the way, I bet you'd
like to check out my Alice in Wonderland inspired project.

I have quite a few Alice in Wonderland stamps and digital images to 
create with, but I was eager to use my newest digital acquisitions
from the very talented, Vera Lane Studios. Actually, the artist is named,
Janet Klein, but she lives on Vera Lane, so hence the business name. 

I recently got some new craft room storage and ended up with a bunch of
dividers that were intended for some of the new drawers. I opted to fill the drawers
without the help of the dividers, but thought that they'd make good wall hangings.
Into the hoarded pile they went! And then I had an idea for some AIW wall art.

I began by painting the panel bright red, and then applied a white
crackle effect over the top. That was way too white, so I toned it down
with a brown acrylic wash. I wiped most of it back, but left enough to give it
a nice, antiqued feel. It is the 150th Anniversary, after all.

I manipulated the Vera Lane images in Gimp, and created the
panel and images to fit my layout and design.

What is Alice in Wonderland without Alice?
Here she is looking a bit disheveled, which is why I love her.
Maybe that tumble down the rabbit hole was a bit more rough than
anyone originally thought. Looks like stitches were necessary. Ouch.
I colored her with Copics, added Glossy Accents to her eyes, and
some Stickles to the bloody bits for a sparkly effect.  

The White Rabbit received the very same treatment as Alice,
but he managed to make it down the hole unscathed. Lucky rabbit.

I adore the Mad Hatter! So fun and silly! I referred to a 
photo of Johnny Depp's Mad Hatter for the color scheme.  

I used the mushroom and the Queen of Hearts here.
I manipulated the mushroom in Gimp to give me a smaller and 
a reversed image mushroom. I colored them both with Copics and
used some Rock Candy Stickles to the spots for a nice sparkle.

I punched holes at the bottom of the panel and added ribbons and charms.
I made the Queen of Hearts charm using a small playing card, Crackle Accents, 
grunge board, and Glossy Accents on the back to seal everything. I added a red beaded
accent to the bottom as well. Super fancy!  


Well, that does it for me.
Enjoy the rest of the hop, and if you are only arriving here
by chance and want to check out the entire hop, the list of
participating blogs is listed below for your convenience.  


Blog Hop List

31 comments:

  1. AMAZING!!! Love everything you have done for the hop. I am now following you, would love you to follow me too
    Lori xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic wall hanging Gloria - those images are definitely on my wishlist. Brilliant colouring and embellishments on this amazing piece xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great layout the Alice is fantastically edgy and the Queen is a amazing zombie well thought out

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very cool!

    I love this... superb colouring - It's a fabulous wall hanging! Smiles.

    Hugs,
    Karen.xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eeeeek !!! AWESOME - I am blown away. Stunning colouring as ever and such fabulous images. I am going to have to check those out :-D

    Hugz
    IKE xxx

    My Challenge Blog
    My Shop
    My Blog
    FB Fan Page

    ReplyDelete
  6. i can't stop looking at this, it is amazing. would love to try and make something similar I have the stamps and you have inspired me to try some of these techniques. Gimp i am not familiar with so i will start with checking that out thank you for sharing your amazing piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome wall hangings and so much detail to look at

    ReplyDelete
  8. EEEKKK!!! I love, love, love, love, LOVE this!!!!!! Amazing creation and the stamps ROCK!! Hope you're still considering parting with it. (Hint, hint) xxD

    ReplyDelete
  9. You make me laugh!!! Stunning colouring, perfect in each and every detail.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE. You have really made these images come to life! Thank you for using them in your hop!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Omg this are fantastic fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a very original project! Super!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Every details in your projects looks great! Fabulous! Kemly Sc.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How fun! Love all the dangly charms!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love these Vera Lane images! Fabulous creation (as ever)!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastical! Love those images and your placement of them and coloring is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow amazing!!!!!!!! Love these creations!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You never disappoint. I love how you tweaked the images on this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah, you made me fall in love with those images! Thanks for introducing this talented artist to us - I love her digi stamps and just got me some.
    And your Alice project is so awesome! Wow! You just inspired me - as usual!

    Hugs,
    Jessa

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing wall art. Love all the details, the images and the hanging embellishments. Its fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  21. this is such a fabulous creation that I do not know where to start! I just love every bit of it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow amazing,not a fan of the scary stuff,but wow,love it all

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment or just vent.