Monday, September 5, 2016

New beginnings

I am currently in a moment of growth and great transition.
I just started a new job last week. I haven't had a "real" job in over
eight years. I really didn't want to work for "the man" again, but 
he does pay better than most scrapbook shops and co-op type places.
And I really needed the benefits, too.

I know I'm not the only one going through changes.
I have had a friend on my mind a lot lately. She is kind of the living
representation of the "what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger" ideal.
I wanted to make her something to commemorate her two years of sobriety.
That's a really big fucking deal. Really big.  

I decided to make a wall hanging using a canvas panel.
She has a thing for chickens, so I thought this was a good 
time to break out with some of my Unity stamps.
I've used  the Chicken Wire stamp and the New Day Rooster set.

I painted the canvas panel using black acrylic paint,
and once it was dry I stamped the chicken wire in VersaMark
and silver embossing powder.    

I used a burlap sheet, a clock die cut from a Tim Holtz die,
and some distress inked paper for my focal points. 

I also added some actual chicken feathers, some designer papers,
doilies, die cuts, sequins, seam binding, and wire mesh to give a
rustic country feel to this piece. 

After mounting the rooster to the die cut frame, I used Crackle Accents for a 
vintage look. The CA kind of reactivated the Distress Inks and changed the look
a little bit, but not too bad. I edged the oval with Platinum Stickles along
with a few other pieces. I like the look of mercury glass, and this
shade of Stickles gives me that effect.   

Overall, I'm really pleased with how this turned out.
Sometimes, mixed media has a way of taking on a life of
it's own. I think this one wandered away just enough to make it
interesting.

Thanks for stopping by today.

I'd like to enter this wall hanging in the following challenges:





   

3 comments:

  1. Hi - what a great canvas! Love all the elements you have used - so much to look at. I'm sure your friend will treasure this. Good luck in your new job!
    Thanks for joining us over at Creative Artiste this month. Hope to see you again - good luck!
    Hugs,
    Bev (DT) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely canvas. Great details. Thank you for joining us at Altered Eclectics this month. Hope to see you back here again soon. Judy DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! Really love this. great colours. Thank you for sharing with us at Altered Eclectics this month. Sammy-x

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment or just vent.